Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Shut Door

The Shut Door





We were on a long drive of several hours from Sydney International Airport back to our home. We had picked up my friend who had flown in from a long fourteen hour flight from San Francisco. After driving for several hours we really needed to stop and use the rest rooms. We located a small petrol station that had restrooms. My friend, Lisa, and I went to the one and only female rest room and stopped at the door. It was shut and the vacant/ engaged dial was slightly turned. We waited and waited. No one came out. Lisa stepped closer to the door. She listened carefully. She was sure she could hear running water. I was sure I could hear it too. “Oh good,” we said, “ She is washing her hands.” We waited and we waited. Lisa kept announcing the running water and we kept waiting. Then we started to doubt. Maybe it was just a leaking toilet we could hear. Maybe we were  mistaken. Lisa tried to turn the door knob but it wouldn’t turn. It appeared to be locked. So we waited and waited some more.  By now we were really looking longingly at the rest room door and starting our own little dance. Then I finally looked at the door and discovered a sign on it. It read “Please ask staff for the key to the public rest room”. We discussed the issue of the key. There was no lock on the door in which one could insert a key. So we waited and waited some more. Eventually it dawned on me that maybe asking the staff for the key even when it appeared illogical was a good idea. Off to the counter I went and asked. The friendly staff quickly explained that the door was not locked and all one had to do was push on the door. I went back to Lisa, who was pacing beside the rest room door, and with a great flourish I stood beside the door and with one push of my hand the door was open revealing an empty rest room. We laughed so much about that incident. 

That funny experience made me stop and consider God’s word. How often do I have a problem and then try and think of the many different ways to solve it, but all to no avail? Do I come to God’s Word and stop to read the “Instructions” that will enable me to know how to solve the problem? Do I read the “Instructions” and then to my finite mind they appear to not agree with my own reasoning? Why not read the “Instructions” and go straight to the One who wrote the “Instructions” and receive His wise counsel?

God calls to me to come and talk things over with Him. Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD...”

Isa 30:21 “And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk you in it, when you turn to the right hand, and when you turn to the left.”

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men liberally, and reproaches not; and it shall be given him.

No comments:

Post a Comment