Glistening Rain
The countdown was on. It was the month of August in Australia and spring officially starts on September the first. I had, already, with much thought and care, planted my spring garden seeds into containers. Our kitchen area created the perfect glass house effect as they sat by the large plate window in the warm, winter sun by the snug, wood fire. However, this winter, day after day, we caught only small snatches of sunlight and clear, azure skies. Scattered showers and gusty winds had thrown their mantle of misery across the wintery landscape. The yearning for spring grew deep in my heart as the days passed by in a blustery gust of cold and wet.
Finally, in great excitement, the last day of winter arrived. It was bright and clear, warmth kissed the brown earth and the promise of spring was upon us. I was on a mission. The calendar said spring was here for this coming week. In a flurry of anticipation, I busily organised the day around planting and weeding and tidying up the vegetable garden area. My husband, Michael, was conscripted to the cause, and off we traipsed into the heat of the day. We have two garden beds, sixteen feet by eight feet; both of them neatly bordered with wooden railway sleepers. The area surrounding our garden beds is covered with dusky coloured pavers and fully fenced. A flourishing passion fruit vine clambers slowly over the fence; while rounds of dry cut wood stand neatly stacked to the side, ready for chopping. At the back lay scattered piles of chopped wood, unwanted bark, saw dust and scraggly weeds struggling to grow up between the pavers. Last season’s pumpkin vine lay dry and prickly through the tangled growth of tall grass and spilled out towards the garden.
Eagerly I turned the soft moist soil with the garden fork, stooping to pull out each undesirable weed. Michael was happily occupied with methodically stacking previously chopped firewood and noisily cutting up old timber palings. My mind was whirling with the happy thoughts of all I would accomplish in the week ahead, from cleaning the pavers to eradicating the old pumpkin vine. I was enthusiastic and dedicated. I spent my day preparing the dark rich soil and planting out thirty corn plants and twelve zucchini plants, leaving the other seedlings in their containers to mature some more. I finished by spreading thickly a layer of yellowed sugar cane mulch across the garden bed.
I spent a few days hovering over each tiny plant, fussing with all the love of a mother over their tender care. I was enjoying the arrival of spring, the brightly coloured flowers blooming in my front garden, the sunny skies and the warmer weather. Unexpectedly, a roll of deep thunder echoed across the skies, a blast of cold air hit and blackened clouds unfurled themselves; rapidly blotting out the brightness of the sun and stealthily darkening the garden. I looked anxiously outside with a sense of foreboding. Abruptly the heavens opened and the outpouring of icy cold rain launched itself like arrows swiftly to the earth. It was torrential and I peered nervously towards the vegetable garden. The rain turned into tiny pellets of white ice. It was now hailing. Then back to teeming. Would my seedlings survive? Would the leaves be damaged? Was the rain too fast, too heavy and too much? I stood there praying. With a blast of chilly wind the darkened clouds parted and the sun shone through swift and sure. Each rain drop fell, glistening like jewels to the ground. Rays of light in thin shafts beamed a radiance through the rain, creating an enchanting wonderland. It was a world sparkling with beauty. I stood in awe.
The past year has found me feeling very vulnerable, fragile and weak like those little plants before the raging torrents of trials, copiously flowing from the skies. I have felt flattened and knocked and left wondering when it was ever going to cease. The brightness of God’s promises had lit up my heart with an iridescence of joy like streaks of light across the darkened corners of my mind. His word shone like gemstones shimmering through tears. Just as my little plants not just survived but thrived through the storm; so too I have hope, hope in the abounding love and goodness of the Lord towards me. The lustre of His word glitters with a sheen upon your heart as well as mine. Will you believe Him? Will I ?
Neh 8:10 “..Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.”
Ps 34:17-19 When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.






No comments:
Post a Comment