Whirlpool of Life
It was November and the christmas toy catalogue had arrived at our home. With eager anticipation, I spent hours pouring over every photo of every product that could be purchased. With wonder and delight I carefully marked each item I wanted on my Christmas wish list, but alas only one of those items could be bought. Narrowing it done, I finally chose a pool toy to enjoy during my hot Australian Christmas.
Christmas day arrived finally with much excitement and there, wrapped in colourful wrap was my pool toy. I ripped off the paper and gazed with glistening eyes at the picture on the outside of the packaging. It was a blow up canoe with side floats to keep it stable. It could easily fit one child and at a squeeze, two children. The day was warming up, and in total excitement I could hardly wait for my father to blow the toy up. In a flurry of enthusiasm I watched my father transform my gift from neatly folded layers of brightly coloured plastic, into my canoe. Then off I raced for the pool to float joyously in my new toy. My canoe was all I imagined it to be.
Australian summer holidays coincide with Christmas and with searing temperatures day after day, our backyard swimming pool became a cool haven. We owned a three foot deep, round, above ground pool, with a diameter of approximately fifteen feet across. Many of my neighbouring friends also owned back yard pools. Summer was spent running freely from pool to pool as we all enjoyed playing together.
My best friend and I enjoyed my canoe, tremendously. Our favourite game was to create a swirling whirlpool in our round pool. Pushing against the water with the strength of our bodies, we would run around the inside edges of the circular pool. Faster and faster we would go, and faster and faster the water would start to move, round and round. As the water surged forward, we would leap in the blown up canoe together. Round and round we would float, being taken in the direction of the twirling waters. Then out of the brightly coloured canoe we would jump, and start running in the water all over again.
Sometimes the craziness of life can feel like a whirlpool, carrying us along in a surging circular motion. Unlike happy, carefree children, we feel out of control, pushed along, swept by the currents of other people’s choices that impact our lives, our own calendar of events, expectations placed on us, family happenings and life crises. The waters carry us round and round and we feel unable to stop the moving flow that threatens to engulf us. God calls to us to step out of the current.
God asks us to trust Him with all of our problems and all of our turmoil in the raging, pushing waters of life. Isa 26:3 “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you: because he trusts in you.” He asks us to take our minds off the rushing whirlpool and keep our thoughts fixed on Him. As we look to Jesus we see him rise up and say to the waters of life, “ Peace, be still.” (Mark 4:39). Will I choose to behold Jesus and take my gaze off the swirling, thunderous waters? Will I trust Him with my life’s circumstances? Will I allow Him to bring peace to my heart?
Psalm 89:9 You rule the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, you still them.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
Phil 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


No comments:
Post a Comment