Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cockroach Killer

Cockroach Killer




Where I live, in sunny Australia, we have large, icky, creepy cockroaches. I don’t like cockroaches at all. They scuttle merrily around having a very happy cockroach life but I spend my time mercilessly eliminating them. I purchase cockroach baits and place them strategically around the house to attract them to their death. I suck them up in the vacuum cleaner. I scream for my hubby, Michael, to come and  kill them for me. I squish them to a pulp with any shoe I can find. I will grab them inside several tissues and run frantically to the toilet and flush them to a watery grave. I spray them with cockroach killer. I hate cockroaches and I only want to see them dead. Even when I have been sound asleep I have responded to a cockroach. One hot, summer evening Michael and I were peacefully sleeping. Suddenly he felt something on his side of the bed and it woke him up and yes, sure enough, a cockroach was on the bed. No, Michael didn’t attack it. He let it run frantically past himself, under his legs and towards me. The thought actually crossed his mind as to how long it would be before I responded. I went from being fast asleep to leaping out of bed in about two seconds. Yes, I am a cockroach annihilator. Recently, however, I have discovered the ultimate in producing cockroach deaths. It’s Borax. It’s actually based on the mineral boron and it is a poison to cockroaches. I just don’t put borax, which is a fine,white powder, out into little, tin foil trays for them to eat. I actually make it very attractive. I mix it with white sugar. Now the poison is sweet and it appears delicious and attractive to cockroaches and it’s killing them off. 

Just like I am a persistent enemy to the cockroaches and I am always finding ways to take their life away from them we too have a persistent enemy who doesn’t want us to have eternal life.

John 10:10 The thief ( a symbol of satan) does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

Just as my most successful method for stealing the life away from cockroaches is to mix something sweet and pleasant into the poison so our enemy often uses the pleasures of this world to lure us away from Jesus our source of life.

In Heb 11:25 we find Moses made a choice to be part of God’s people, who were at that time slaves “than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season.” Moses had been adopted by the Egyptian Pharaoh's daughter from an Israelite family. He had the wealth, the power, the position and the pleasures of the world within his grasp. He chose to turn away from the sinful pleasures that would steal the pleasures of God in his life and He did not become the next pharaoh. We could be lining up today at museums to visit not just an Exhibition of Tutenkhamen but we could have been viewing the mummified corpse of Moses or visiting his pyramid in Egypt. Instead Moses chose the pleasures of eternal things. The joy of the Lord. At the end of his life he was resurrected and taken to heaven.

Ps 16:11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

What will be my choice today. Do I choose the pleasures of this world that will distract me from a relationship with Jesus? Or do I choose the pleasures of an abundant life of joy and peace in a relationship with Jesus now?

Jesus says..John 10:10 I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

1 John 5:12 He that has the Son has life; and he that has not the Son of God has not life.



No comments:

Post a Comment