Flying High
My American friend and I created a long list of all the things we wanted to do together when she was visiting me in Australia. One of the things on that list was to fly a kite. Not long after she flew into Australia, the weather was perfect for kite flying. Off to the sun swept beach we went with the colourful kite in our hands. At the beach we had plenty of strong wind currents, lots of wide open spaces, and no trees or power lines for the kite to get entangled on. We unpacked the kite and put it together excitedly. Finally, we were ready for take off. However, we both had lots of trouble getting the kite up in the blue skies. There was a lot of wind and we kept running all over the beach trying to get the kite to catch a current at the right moment. We discovered that day that there were three different air currents at work, at three different altitudes. The very first air current that we were hitting was actually making the kite head wildly up in the sky then do a complete U turn and dive speedily back down to the ground. It seemed almost impossible to get the kite up and past that first layer of air currents. Finally, we broke into the second air current. The kite now stopped making a U Turn and diving down. It did, however, keep wanting to move into the air currents to the right of itself and when it did that the kite lost stability and would start to head down again. We would have to keep running towards the sand dunes to get the kite to ascend into the sky again. It wasn’t until it reached the third and much higher set of air currents that the kite really began to fly without difficulty. It seemed to move with ease among the currents and showed no sign of wanting to come down.
Sometimes I can be like that kite. When I am closer to the things of this world I can’t seem to get anywhere spiritually. I keep falling and my life keeps taking U Turns away from God. God is calling me to get closer to Him, to move away from the things of this earth that keep dragging me down. As I move away from the things of earth and move closer to him, I start to have a more successful Christian experience. I enjoy the things of God more but like the kite in the second set of air currents I can at times still experience instability spiritually, I can still get dragged down. God is wanting me to soar like the kite in the third set of air currents. To be so close to Him that the things of this earth don’t cause me to dive down. He wants me to experience a joyful and peaceful and successful Christian life.
Col 3:1, 2 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment