Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fear Not

 


Five years ago our family bought this cute little dog  whom we called called Emma. We found an ad’ in the paper advertising a litter of puppies that were maltese x papillion. When we arrived at the house we fell in love with Emma immediately. I was so captivated by Emma I only took in a vague comprehension of the home she had come from...it was loud and rough. It wasn’t until she was a bit older I realized she had come from a home of much fear. If I pick up a broom to sweep...she runs away. If I turn on the vacuum cleaner she runs away. If I go to mop the floor she runs away. If I pick up any large garden tool she runs away. She has a look of fear in her eyes. I have never hit Emma or hurt her in any way but she still has that fear.

She is scared of loud noises. She starts quivering at the slightest sound of thunder. In fact I know when a storm is coming before I can hear it by her reaction. If she is on the bed with me she will be diving for the covers or snuggling as close as possible. When there is a storm she wants to be held and reassured.

Even though Emma has fears she has blessed our home with much love. She is very loyal and loving. She follows me all through the house and wants to sit on my lap whenever I sit on the lounge. Every evening Mike and I enjoy watching some Christian TV together and She likes to lie on our laps and as soon as I get up to head to bed to read she is off the lounge and running after me...the high light of her day is to be on my bed with me while I am reading. Mike plays a tenor horn and when he plays she likes to come over and join in by howling...a kind of dog way of singing. 

Yesterday I was eating breakfast and Emma had been slow to follow me to the kitchen. The hall doorway was only slightly open...by about 20 cm. However, Emma’s fears took over completely. She could see me eating breakfast. She wanted some food scraps tossed to her but she was too scared to go through the door way. Most animals including our cats would just put a paw up to open the door. She stood on the other side barking and looking at me sitting at the table...wanting me to help her. I decided to encourage her and I kept calling her and encouraging her to push the door open. Finally eventually she did and joyfully received some toast and vegemite.

How often we can be like Emma. The things of this world have hurt us and brought us heart ache. They develop fears within us. Fears of failure, fears of rejection, fears of being unloved, fears of being alone, fears of the future, fears of circumstances beyond our control and fears of being hurt again.  Just like Emma came to a new home and has experienced nothing but love from us so too when we come to God we experience nothing but love from Him but we bring all our fears with us into our relationship with God. God sees the bigger picture..He knows there is nothing to fear but we have uncertainties and doubts. We see the small piece in the puzzle and feel life’s past experiences. 

Just like Emma stood at the partially closed door and I called and encouraged her to step forward God is calling to us to step through the doorways of fears in our lives and come and sit at his table and enjoy an abundance of spiritual blessings from Him, free of fears.

Isa 41:13 For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment