Not My Will but Thine be Done
How truly surrendered am I to the Lord's will? I think about Jonathan and how he was next in line to the royal throne and how he gave it all up for God's will. God called David, Jonathan not only gave up his own desires for the throne but so entirely surrendered all his own feelings, princely plans, childhood training for the position and worldly honour that he was found in loyal support and deep friendship with David. His love for David was a total self sacrificing love.
Now here I am in 1 Kings 1 and 2. God has chosen Solomon to be the next king. However, he is not the oldest. Absalom has already made a claim to the throne and died as a result....the next two sons in line to the throne have deceased ...now David's 4th son, Adonijah, seeks the throne.
1 Kings finds him exalting himself...like Lucifer of old...I WILL...."Then Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, “I will be king”; and he prepared for himself chariots and horsemen, and fifty men to run before him." Adonijah also secures the support of two of David's trusted men...Joab...the leader of the army and Abiathar the leader of the priests. The conspiracy is deep and the plot is thick. Adonijah holds a great feast and is ready to proclaim himself king. During the feast the plot is uncovered and David moves into prompt and swift action to have Solomon crowned King. Adonijah is fearful of his life yet Solomon spares him and offers mercy him. Adonjiah appears to be surrendered to the Lord's will.
Vs 53 So King Solomon sent them to bring him [Adonijah] down from the altar. And he came and fell down before King Solomon; and Solomon said to him, “Go to your house.”
Has Adonijah's heart been truly changed? Is my heart? Do I give outward acknowledgement of God's divine plan yet inwardly my heart still wants my way, my will. Am I partially surrendered and not fully?
in 1 Kings 2 Adonijah rises up again and under the guise of being an obedient subject he approaches Solomon's mother with a request for her to take to Solomon. The request is for the hand of marriage to a young lady called Abishag. She is last concubine of King David. Is it an innocent request or is it still a way to get what he wants while appearing to comply outwardly to God's will?
"Then he said, “You know that the kingdom was mine, and all Israel had set their expectations on me, that I should reign. However, the kingdom has been turned over, and has become my brother’s; for it was his from the Lord. Now I ask one petition of you; do not deny me.”
And she said to him, “Say it.”
Then he said, “Please speak to King Solomon, for he will not refuse you, that he may give me Abishag the Shunammite as wife.” 1 Kings 2:15-17
His words give away where his heart really is. He is still not surrendered and he is only giving partial obedience and partially submitted to God's will. To marry Abishag, David's former concubine, would, in the eyes of the culture at the time ,elevate him to the postion of being regarded by the people as worthy of the throne. Solomon sees through the request and Adonijah is swiftly dealt with.
How often do I want my will and not God's and yet appear surrendered to him, either by word or by action but not fully in my heart? Do I try to bring about my will whilst still appearing to be in God's will?
May my prayer always be "I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”Ps 40:8
And Your law is within my heart.”Ps 40:8

No comments:
Post a Comment