Abide in Me
I am studying 1 Kings 3:5-15 where Solomon asks God for wisdom.
"Early in his reign he went with his counselors of state to Gibeon, where the tabernacle that had been built in the wilderness still was, and there he united with his chosen advisers, "the captains of thousands and of hundreds," "the judges," and "every governor in all Israel, the chief of the fathers," in offering sacrifices to God and in consecrating themselves fully to the Lord's service. 2 Chronicles 1:2. Comprehending something of the magnitude of the duties connected with the kingly office, Solomon knew that those bearing heavy burdens must
seek the Source of Wisdom for guidance, if they would fulfill their responsibilities acceptably. This led him to encourage his counselors to unite with him heartily in making sure of their acceptance with God. Above every earthly good, the king desired wisdom and understanding for the accomplishment of the work God had given him to do. He longed for quickness of mind, for largeness of heart, for tenderness of spirit. " P&K p 27
seek the Source of Wisdom for guidance, if they would fulfill their responsibilities acceptably. This led him to encourage his counselors to unite with him heartily in making sure of their acceptance with God. Above every earthly good, the king desired wisdom and understanding for the accomplishment of the work God had given him to do. He longed for quickness of mind, for largeness of heart, for tenderness of spirit. " P&K p 27
"The language used by Solomon while praying to God before the ancient altar at Gibeon reveals his humility and his strong desire to honor God. He realized that without divine aid he was as helpless as a little child to fulfill the responsibilities resting on him. He knew that he lacked discernment, and it was a sense of his great need that led him to seek God for wisdom. In his heart there was no selfish aspirations for a knowledge that would exalt him above others. He desired to discharge faithfully the duties devolving upon him, and he chose the gift that would be the means of causing his reign to bring glory to God. Solomon was never so rich or so wise or so truly great as when he confessed, "I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in." P&k p30
It is with these desires and these thoughts and these motives that Solomon falls asleep that night and God appears to him in a dream and offers to give Solomon whatever he desires. What a request!!! What would I say? What is most important to me? Do I get caught up in my problems? Do I get caught up in my children? Do I get caught up in financially surviving...material possessions? I could right here and now think that I would ask for a heart to love others like Jesus did. But would I really ask for that first?
God pours into Solomon the gift of wisdom at his request. I think about how glorious his early reign was....I think about those who sought his wisdom...about all the proverbs and songs he wrote. All those years of following after righteousness. Yet he slips...and loses God from his life. He tries to seek for happiness in all the wrong places. Even though Solomon, near the end of his life, makes right choices and returns to God. I think about this verse.
1 Cor 1:27
"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."
"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."
Can I be like Solomon... sharing with others...living a life filled with the Spirit yet able to lose it all?
1 Cor 10:12
"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."
"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."
Oh Lord I am so dependent on you moment by moment and in each moment of my life. I am not safe outside of your goodness and mercy. How I need to stay connected to you at all times.
1 John 15:4,5
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

No comments:
Post a Comment